The AbbVie Experiential Internship Program
As an AbbVie Experiential Intern, you'll participate in a paid, ten to twelve-week summer program that is focused on providing students with robust projects throughout the summer. As an intern, you will be located at our corporate headquarters in north suburban Chicago, with housing and shuttle services for eligible students. Department Overview - Solid State Chemistry, Process R&D
Solid State Chemists at AbbVie work in cross-functional teams to support projects through all phases of development (Lead Optimization to Process Validation). In early development, they identify commercial solid form of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and develop scalable API isolation processes for early clinical studies. During Phase II, they work with engineers and formulation scientists to establish structure-property-performance correlations and deliver commercial API isolation processes with optimized physical properties. In the final stages of development, solid-state chemists collaboratively transition isolation processes and relevant physical characterization methods into the commercial manufacturing sites.
- Develop computational chemistry and machine learning models for Solid form de-risking and process development applications;
- Validate the model predictions on AbbVie pipeline projects;
- Perform preliminary experiments to learn the business;
- Present project/assignment conclusions & learnings to department management and broader team at conclusion of assignment.
- Completed at least one year of college education before beginning internship
- PhD candidate in Physical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Material Sciences, Pharmaceutical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline
- Must be enrolled in school the semester following your internship
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.0/4.0
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship (students on an F1 visa with CPT can be accommodated).
- Skills and knowledge: Computational Chemistry (COSMO and Materials Studio), Machine Learning (Regression, Classification, Clustering), Statistical modeling, and experience with Linux environment;
- Preferred skills: Physics based modeling (CFD), Surface chemistry modeling, and Solid state lab work;
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Thrive in a team environment and highly innovative.
Key Leadership Competencies:
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Build strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside team to enable higher performance.
- Learn fast, grasp the \"essence\" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raise the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Create a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embrace ideas of others, nurture innovation and manage innovation to reality.
Associated topics: ceramic, chemistry, coating, formulation, glass, latex, material, material science, polyurethane, rubber